Post

2 followers Follow
1
Avatar

bibtex issues in Rstudio

Dear Rstudio team
First big thanx for the great work on RStudio!!!
I have been an R and Emacs user for over 10 years and now am making the transition across. Not without some pain, especially since I am so fast with key strokes and control sequences, but hey just have to learn new ones.

My problem is around am issue with use of Knitr and BibTex. I can provide examples but simply put the issue is that without the \cite commands and bib commands the Rnw file produces a pdf file, but with \cite{} commands, using say natbib package, the job runs but fails to produce a open a pdf file but the pdf file produced has no bibliography but also referencing is completely lost for both citations and equations and sections.

Hope this is enough information.
thanks

brian cullis

5 comments

1
Avatar

I seem to be having the same problem. I use the natbib package and I know that the path to the bibliography is correct, as taking the .tex file created by the .Rnw and pushing it through WinEdt works fine, but when compiling straight from the .Rnw I get the dreaded question marks and no .bbl file. Strangely, if I create the .bbl through WinEdt, then the .Rnw compiles properly, so it seems to be the call to bibtex that is the problem.

This did work a few months ago, and is a pretty important feature :)

Avraham Adler 1 vote
Comment actions Permalink
1
Avatar

I just checked again and running the compile within Rstudio on the .Rnwdoes not add the .bbl, but running the pdflatex/bibtex/pdflatex (using WinEdt) on the created tex file DOES create the properly referenced pdf. It did not matter if I used \cite or \citet (although I was always using the natbib package).

The log file shows no .bib found. Perhaps a setting was changed that doesn't go through the bib-creating step?

Avraham Adler 1 vote
Comment actions Permalink
1
Avatar

Putting the .bib file in the same directory as the Rnw does not help.

Avraham Adler 1 vote
Comment actions Permalink
0
Avatar

Hi
Yes well I agree with all of your comments. At least it is now been replicated on another platform. We'll have to wait for a solution, presumably from the RStudio team. It is interesting that it used to work.

brian cullis 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink
0
Avatar

Recently, I returned to the file, and started adding text with the thought that I'd just have to knit it using WinEdt, and out of the blue it started working. I do not know what I did, other than add more text, but now the bibliography is working fine. I've since updated to .490 and it still works, so I don't know what caused the issue, but thankfully it is no longer there.

Avraham Adler 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink