If you are seeing errors similar to the below, there is a good chance increasing the memory of your application will resolve the issue.
- message: Error saving session (creating directory): No space left on device
- R Session Error: The previous R session was abnormally terminated due to an unexpected crash. You may have lost workspace data as a result of this crash.
- RStudio Initialization Error
It's also recommended to check the RAM gauge at the top of the UI to see if it moves to the red when experiencing the issue.
If increasing the memory of the application is needed, please see below:
1. Open the project, and click on the "gear" settings button in the header.
2. In the panel that opens, click the Resources tab.
3. Adjust the settings, click the "Apply Changes" button, and follow the prompts to reopen your project.
More information about project resources can be found here.
Note: The container itself which includes the application along with everything the IDE requires is a maximum of the configured RAM of the project. For example, if the project is set to use 1 GB of RAM, that 1 GB is for both the application and the requirements of the IDE.
If you are on the Cloud Free/Plus plan with a max of 1 GB of RAM and 1 CPU/project and are unable to upgrade to the next tier, it may be worth looking into the open-source RStudio Desktop IDE. This would allow you to use the resources of your local machine which may be beneficial.