The SAML protocol is an industry standard for single-sign-on, multi-factor authentication, and authorization within the enterprise. RStudio Connect supports SAML 2.0 for authentication and group membership. For the full reference on RStudio Connect’s SAML implementation, see the RStudio Connect Admin Guide. You can also explore the generic getting started guide for SAML and RStudio Connect.
To get started using RStudio Connect with SAML and JumpCloud, it is important to configure both RStudio Connect and JumpCloud appropriately. You will need:
- Access to create a new application in the JumpCloud portal
- RStudio Connect version 1.7.6 or later installed
- The URL that RStudio Connect is accessed at in users’ browsers
The installation and configuration workflow requires the following steps.
1. Follow the instructions in the RStudio Connect: Admin Guide to install RStudio Connect to install RStudio Connect.
2. Write down the full URL that RStudio Connect will be accessed at in users' browsers.
3. Go to the JumpCloud portal, "Add an Application" and search for "RStudio Connect." Configure the Entity ID and ACS URL using the full URL that RStudio Connect will be accessed at in users' browsers (replace YOUR_DOMAIN in the image below)
4. Activate the application, and export the Identity Provider Metadata using the JumpCloud interface at the bottom of the form
5. Copy the metadata onto the RStudio Connect server, for instance, to
6. Configure RStudio Connect to use the metadata by altering the configuration file. An example configuration file is below.
; RStudio Connect configuration file
SenderEmail = firstname.lastname@example.org
; Replace Address with the value you specified in JumpCloud
Address = https://YOUR_DOMAIN
Listen = :3939
Provider = saml
Logging = true
IdPMetaData = /etc/rstudio-connect/jumpcloud-metadata.xml
SSOInitiated = IdPAndSP
NameIdFormat = emailAddress
UsernameAttribute = Username
EmailAttribute = Email
FirstNameAttribute = FirstName
LastNameAttribute = LastName
Your setup is complete! Any user granted access to this application within JumpCloud should be able to log into the product!
If you run into issues, please contact email@example.com and mention that you followed this guide. You should also include the details explained here: