RStudio Connect for AWS is an on-demand, commercially-licensed solution for hosting RStudio Connect on AWS. There are three distinct tiers:
- RStudio Connect Base - 20 Users
- RStudio Connect Standard - 100 Users
- RStudio Connect Enterprise - 1000 Users
These instances come pre-configured with RStudio Connect 188.8.131.52-14, R versions 3.3.3, 3.4.4, and 3.5.3 and python versions 2.7.15 and 3.6.8 already installed. RStudio Connect is by default configured with built in password authentication and depends on an internal SQLite database. Additional, manual configuration is required if you would like to change any of the default settings. Details on configuration options are available in the administration guide.
These instructions below will help you get started regardless of the tier that you select.
1. Select your preferred tier from the options above, then select "Continue to Subscribe" at the top of the page.
2. Read through the information presented and click on "Accept Terms".
3. Once your subscription has been approved, click on "Continue to Configuration" at the top of the page.
4. Fill out your configuration options and then click "Continue to Launch" at the top of the page.
5. Fill out your launch options and click "Launch" at the bottom of the page.
Note that you must select a Key Pair before you are able to launch the instance. It is also possible to create a new security group based on recommended settings. This security group opens port 22 and port 3939 without restrictions. Port 22 is used to access the server via SSH, while port 3939 is the default port used by RStudio Connect.
6. Once the instance is launched, click on "Usage Instructions" for guidelines on how to begin using the RStudio Connect instance you've just launched.
The instance-public-ip-address referenced in the "Usage Instructions" can be found in your EC2 console. Click on the instance you just created and look for "Public DNS (IPv4)" in the Description tab at the bottom of the page.
7. Visit the link described above and click "Sign Up" in the top right hand corner of the page.
8. Input the requested information to create a new user and click "Sign Up" at the bottom of the form.
The first user signed up under the default configuration will automatically have administrative privileges on RStudio Connect.
If you want to make additional configuration changes, you may do so by accessing the instance via SSH and making updates to the appropriate files as described in the administration guide. Details on connecting to your instance via SSH can be found by selecting your RStudio Connect instance on the "Instances" page of your EC2 dashboard, then clicking on "Actions", then "Connect". The SSH user name is "ubuntu".