RStudio Server Pro version 1.1+, RStudio Connect version 1.5.4+, and Shiny Server Pro version 1.5.6+ support floating licenses.
Do I need floating licensing?
Most likely no. By default, RStudio products come with support for activating and deactivating license keys. Floating licenses require additional setup and are only recommended if traditional licenses are not working with your architecture. Floating licenses can be required in environments where servers often shut down without deactivating the license. This scenario is most common with ephemeral backends such as Docker containers.
How does floating licensing work?
With floating licensing, professional RStudio product servers lease a license from a persistent micro-server. The micro-server manages the license itself, and leases on that license can be acquired and released by the RStudio product servers as needed. If an RStudio product server is shut down without releasing its license lease, a new RStudio product server can acquire that lease after it has expired, or is manually released.
How do I use floating licensing?
To use floating licensing:
- Setup a persistent micro-server. The server can be small (1 core, 2 GB RAM).
- Download the appropriate floating license server.
- Install the floating license server:
sudo gdebi <license-server.deb> # replace with the downloaded deb name
sudo yum install --nogpgcheck <license-server.rpm> #replace with the downloaded rpm name
- Activate the floating license on the micro-server:
Online mode, if your license server has an internet connection:
sudo [connect-license-server | rsp-license-server] activate <product-key>
sudo [connect-license-server | rsp-license-server] start
Offline mode, if your license server does not have an internet connection:
See the instructions in the relevant administration guide, linked below.
- Follow the product specific instructions to enable floating licenses:
RStudio Server Pro
- Ensure that the RStudio product servers can reach the license server to acquire license leases. If your license server is behind a firewall, you may need to open the appropriate port on the license server; see the administration guides linked above for details.
Do I need a new license key to use floating licensing?
Yes. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in floating licenses.
Does floating licensing change how many instances I can use?
No. Floating licensing does not change how many servers or containers can be active at one time.
Does floating licensing work offline?
Yes. Floating licensing does not replace traditional offline licenses. Both traditional and floating licenses can be activated offline. The RStudio product servers will need network access to the licensing server.